Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Miss Pakistan: Women Constantly Suppressed Under Name Of Islam

From Creeping Sharia:

Miss Pakistan: Women constantly suppressed under name of Islam


Posted on January 25, 2011 by creeping

An A for effort. More women should speak up and stand up to their male co-religionists. via Miss Pak backs Veena Malik in row with clerics – Hindustan Times.



Miss Pakistan World Annie Rupani Sunday came out in support of Pakistani actress Veena Malik who is under fire from the Muslim clergy in her country for getting too close with Indian actor Ashmit Patel during her participation in Bigg Boss-4 in India. Slamming Mufti Abdul Qawi who said in a TV interview Friday that the actor has “insulted Pakistan and Islam” by her behaviour, the Houston-based Miss Pakistan World said the mullahs have no right to pass judgment on Veena Malik.



“I fully support Veena Malik for standing up for her beliefs and values. Though unfortunate, Veena Malik’s lashing out may be the only way to make her voice heard. Women are constantly being suppressed under the name of Islam, when in reality, Islam promotes the equality of men and women,” the 21-year-old Boston university student, who was crowned Miss Pakistan World in Toronto in August, told IANS.



The Karachi-born beauty said: “Currently in Pakistan, a high percentage of women are abused, beaten, raped, and killed, yet men are not being held responsible for their actions. Pakistani women’s literacy rates are rising, leading to their outward participation in society.”



Veena Malik’s backstory as she took on a mufti:



I wanted to show the world that there are other types of Pakistanis too, not just those who are in the news for terror acts.”



She defended her behavior and clothes saying, “It isn’t a religious show either. The format of the show is to get people from various walks of life under one roof… I was contacted for my bravery. I wasn’t even representing office-going women of Pakistan. I was a Pakistani from the entertainment industry. I wore only clothes that I have worn in Pakistan before. I was representing myself… and I am like this only.”



No comments:

Post a Comment